Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Leeds Point Corn and Crab Chowder (fat-free!)

I'm a little late posting this one...I blame work, of course. The recent nice weather that required my presence on the beach and in my kayak is not to blame at all...as well time visiting cousins so we could feast and speak of that which excites us....FOOD!

One of my passions is soup, which comes from my Polish heritage...nothing cries more for the joy of soup than living in Eastern Europe and dealing with the long cold winter. Unless you count the joy of vodka. But, I digress...many soups in Eastern Europe have cabbage as a staple ingredient, as it grows well in the cold climate. But the love of soup knows no bounds...and here at the Jersey Shore, we are blessed with 2 of God's greatest gifts....Jersey Corn, and Blue-claw Crabs. Which turn out to make an awesome soup. 

In my version, I have found a way to create decadence and only have 1.4 grams of fat and 58 calories per cup by using fat-free half and half in place of cream...you would never know the difference, and I am told this has elevated it to the much vaunted "signature dish" status. The base of this soup is clam broth, another local product that I save when I steam clams.


Leeds Point Corn and Crab Chowder
-2 tbs butter
-1 tbs olive oil
-2 spanish onions, chopped
-2 red bell peppers, chopped (though I used a red and yellow today)
-1 tbs Old Bay seasoning
-4 tbs flour
-3 cups jersey corn kernals scraped fresh from the cob
-1 qt clam broth
-1 qt fat-free half and half
-1/2 lb crabmeat

Heat the oil and butter, saute the onion until translucent. Add the peppers and saute 5 mins more.
Add the Old Bay. Stir. Add the flour, stirring constantly.
Add the clam broth, stir until consistant. Add the half and half, do the same. Bring to a bubble.
Add the corn and crabmeat, simmer 5 minutes...and eat!!

No comments:

Post a Comment