Monday, May 24, 2010

The Growing Garden

So, not exactly a post about food, more one about food to come :) There's really nothing to eat in my garden right now except some lettuce, but I was outside today working (weeding, weeding.... it's a shame that weeds are inedible, because they grow like the dickens!) and took some pictures of things that are coming along. Call it a Garden Status Update, if you like. It really looks like it's gonna be a success, can't wait to start making up recipes with my very own home-grown!


My beets are doing rather well (this was before I weeded the bed), and whats even better is that the pesky rodent that has been snatching some of my stuff doesn't seem to like these!




However, the leeks on the other hand seem to be a favorite dish. More than half of them are gone, and it makes me pretty sad because they are growing so well otherwise. I will have to go buy some more before it gets too late.





Here, my herbs and squash plants are just starting up, I forgot how fast squash grows! You can see my marjoram, basil, and parsley plants to the left.


Last, but not least, I finally got around to thinning my carrots. They were almost too big, which would have been an oops, but I got to them in time. Now they have lots of room to grow. This is a new thing for me, I've never grown carrots before, and I'm pretty excited!


Well, that's all for now, I'll leave you with this quote which I read recently and am going to turn into a sign for my gate....

"Take nothing from this garden except;
nourishment for the body,
inspiration for the mind,
contentment for the soul."

No comments:

Post a Comment